Recently out of boredom I decided to go on a “farming” spree and farm old dungeons. It’s always exciting and nostalgic to visit old world raids/dungeons that bring back good memories of old good days and if you’ll get super lucky, you may even become wealthy over night.
What’s there for me? You may ask.. Since Blizzard did a hard gold nerf drop before MOP, there are still valuable items and things to hunt for.
For example : Recently on my server Stormrage (US) – there was a post from a collector who was willing to buy a BattleMaster enchanting recepie for 75,000g. I actually did get that recipe but it was only during Burning Crusade time and I think I learned it on my previous character. These Burning Crusade recipes are highly desirable by collectors and recently I actually looted one (don’t remember the name) but I sold it in AH for 8000g. The fun part about old world lvl 70 instances is that you can now pull an entire instance to one spot and just aoe every mob and collect all gold/greens/recipes etc with one click.
Farming heroic Shettek Halls can be a bit tricky. Although these mobs don’t hit for much they have an ability to mind control. If you are mind controlled for 3-5 seconds then mobs reset and run away to their original rooms/places. Then you have to do everything all over again lol.
Recently, I was sitting and reading general trade and saw people selling a pet called “Chrominius” – since I took a break from wow when patch 5.1 was deployed, I wasn’t aware where this pet was dropping. I went to wowhead, searched and turned out that Chrominius pet is a BWL drop from a boss named Chromaggus (he was my favorite boss back in a day because he dropped tire shoulders). Anyway, the ongoing sale price for this pet is about 1000g on my server….
So I went and attuned 2 of my alts to BWL (yes, you still have to get attuned to enter). Then I soloed BWL (except on my newly 90 boomkin) I could not kill Ebonroc so I just stealth to Chromaggus and I was able to kill him just fine in my greens and blues and that day I have gotten FOUR Chrominius little pets on 4 different characters so total I had was 5 of same pet. Of course 1 of those I keep for myself but 4 others I sold by putting them in cages.
As you can see, this pet is quite popular. First of all, it’s popular because it’s rare quality, thus the pet has better stats when it levels vs a common (green or poor quality pet). Second, not everyone can solo BWL. On my four characters that I run weekly BWL all of them have a healing offspec – that’s a key to defeating first boss in Blackwing Lair. If you don’t have healing spec on your toon, it will be very hard to destroy all eggs and keep the boss alive so he won’t die from npcs beating on him. Even though Blizzard buffed Razorgore’s health in patch 5.1 he’s still easily killable and at times can be tricky but with time and practice it gets easy.
So as you can see on image above, it’s a screen shot of this pet from BWL (btw you can get up to 3 pets from BWL and they all sell in range from 500-1000g per each). Also if you will kill trash, they drop elementium ore that’s used to make bars and those bars are used to craft legendary weapons. Old world legendary weapons are very much desirable still because they give players FOS (Feat of Strength) achievements and hopefully soon they’ll be able to be used as transmog items as well.
So every week I try to do my “own” raids and just farm pets for the week and then I do daily heroic Magister’s terrace for the fiery phoenix pet that also sells in range from 500-1000g (depending on day of the week). I’ve noticed that at beginning of the week, prices on pets go up because people who have farmed them previous week have sold theirs and market isn’t flooded with them. Also I’ve looted boe epic lvl 57 leggings in BWL that I recently sold for 8000g… now I don’t know who would spend or buy these leggings since now we can obtain bind on account leggings, but hey…. I am just 8000g reacher and happierTop 10 tips for fast gold farming in old world dungeons and raids :
1. Run at least four characters through BWL every week – that should bring you MINIMUM 4000g (if ONLY ONE pet will drop out of 4). The price also depends on your server’s economy/population.
2. When dedicating time to old world instance/raids farming, make sure you have empty bag space so you won’t be faced with dilemma “what can I throw away” to loot an item that sells to vendor for high amount of gold.
3. Loot everything from old world raids/dungeons (even if they are low level epics), you will be able to vendor them for 8-10g each and it all adds up
4. Kill trash if it’s on way to a certain boss. You never know what trash mob has for you in store… you might just get lucky and obtain a beautiful transmog / highly desirable sword and then sell it for 68,000g like I once obtained from Molten Core.
5. If you are a miner, and there’s ore, get the ore. All type of ore still sell pretty well and since you are already in instance/raids just mine it and don’t ignore it. You’ll be surprised how much gold it may bring you when you’ll sell it.
6. Don’t invite friends with you. Most raids right now can be entered solo. Some people still say in trade “LFM for fast BWL transmog run” – why would you want to bring someone you don’t even know with you, just to share pets/rare drops with someone – that’s a waste of time
7. If you don’t think your class can solo a certain boss, I suggest you visit a youtube.com and type in search boss your class’s name and boss’s name. There are plenty of videos with tips how to solo kill a certain boss.
8. Don’t go pets/raids farming when you have limited time and you need to be elsewhere. That will just make you a nervous wreck and you’ll be rushing/avoiding trash mobs and then you may not benefit from your run and obtain as much gold as you would otherwise.
9. If you’ve never been to a certain raid/dungeon, watch a video on youtube. Find out boss’s abilities/specials. Knowing what to expect beforehand will save you time and effort in long run.
10. Have fun doing it. After your raid, find a mail box and mail all loot that’s (sellable) to your alt. It’s much easier to sell everything from one character/alt rather than selling it from multiple characters and keeping track who sold what… Also having an alt with it’s own guild bank will help you a great deal as well to store items and shuffle through them between multiple alts.
Hope this post was informative.